Sunday, December 23, 2012

De·pres·sion


There are a couple of things I would like to write about today. One of them is depression.

de·pres·sion  
/diˈpreSHən/
Noun
1.      Severe despondency and dejection, accompanied by feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy.
2.      A condition of mental disturbance, typically with lack of energy and difficulty in maintaining concentration or interest in life.
Synonyms
dejection - hollow
3.       
This has never been something that I am comfortable talking about. I am not even sure why I am writing about it cause some of these things are too close to heart to leave to the whims of the internet nor am I the talking type…especially on such matter.

Perhaps it’s because I had my second minor episode recently and I have had lows most of my life after that. I never even knew I was depressed until I got out of it. I don’t know how I got into it and even how I got out of it. I just know that I was in it.

I have witnessed my own shares of sadness of life experiences but non as dark as the one I suffered while at university. It was one of the darkest times of my life and I say that with no hyperbole. I am dead serious.
Even now I can remember what I felt, what my days were like. I wondered where the sun had gone and that when it came out how come I could not feel its hear. I remember being a zombie of sorts in that period, I went to class but after a few minutes I was bored senseless.

At first I was confused as hell. I could not explain what this was all about. I had never been out of control and laughter had never been far from my lips but here I was despondent as a wet feline.

I felt had just taken residence in the orbit of a black hole and all my life was just being sucked out and every minute of the day. Funny how i was always up early during this time something that I struggled with all my life. I was almost always up with the first rays of the sun. I was highly organized and neat. I don’t think my various abodes have suffered such meticulous cleaning since. I showered, had breakfast, washed up and cleaned my room and then just went back to bed, curled up into a the nearest possible fetal position my stocky frame would allow and drift in and out of sleep, a kind of swing between ponderous waking thoughts and twitchy dreams.

I can remember my room quite well, small, and quaint almost, with no ceiling, revealing the underside of the clay tiles on the roof. I remember wondering how it never leaked as I expected it to when it rained. I remember the grey metal framed office chair with the think cushions and how it matched with my monochrome grey tv. I remember the yellow painted walls with the uneven plaster and the brown of the custom table-shelf, the only other furniture in my room.

I vividly remember all these things because I spent almost a month within those four small walls, withdrawn from friends and all the things I loved only coming out when I was too hungry or my bread had run out.
Those were dark days.

And then recently an old familiar despondency descended. I was up early as usual but that same lifelessness had crept up on me. I just lay there…I did not want to do anything. It was then that I decided, “hey, maybe it’s time to face this again and maybe, just maybe admit that I could be prone to depression”. That maybe I should be doing something about it. I called up a very close friend, and she was terrified. In fact I texted her and she called back worried. I was touched.

Looking back I have had my moments and near missed but I have soldiered on. I have refused to allow my life be ruled by something that I believe the God I believe in can help me not just deal with but eventually overcome.
But I need to continually realize that this is something that can happen and that I need to be on my watch and on my guard and I need to constantly watch for patterns and triggers.

There is so much more to this tale than I can bear to remember and type, perhaps in many more post to come. In case you have some of these symptoms it does not mean you are depressed but I shall highlight the ones that I did have and I think are real indicators.

Again, please note that some of these symptoms occur in other scenarios as well so I guess professional help may be a good Idea.

It was important for me to not lose hold on my faith so I read my Bible diligently during this that in the hopes that when God did move, he would kind some kindling stored up within me from which to start a fire to get be all warmed up inside and back to sanity. I don’t know if it worked, but I know those words were a line that I gripped on tight and the fear of total insanity in some strange way kept me sane.

Psychological symptoms include:
  • continuous low mood or sadness
  • feeling hopeless and helpless
  • having low self-esteem 
  • feeling tearful
  • feeling guilt-ridden
  • feeling irritable and intolerant of others 
  • having no motivation or interest in things
  • finding it difficult to make decisions
  • not getting any enjoyment out of life
  • feeling anxious or worried 
  • having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself
Physical symptoms include:
  • Moving or speaking more slowly than usual 
  • change in appetite or weight (usually decreased, but sometimes increased) 
  • constipation 
  • unexplained aches and pains
  • lack of energy or lack of interest in sex (loss of libido)
  • changes to your menstrual cycle
  • disturbed sleep (for example, finding it hard to fall asleep at night or waking up very early in the morning)
Social symptoms include:
  • not doing well at work
  • taking part in fewer social activities and avoiding contact with friends
  • neglecting your hobbies and interests
  • having difficulties in your home and family life
  •  

NOTE TO TEENAGERS READING THIS

Just because you are “having difficulties in your home and family life” does not mean you are depressed though I do admit such scenarios can be depressing.