Thursday, March 22, 2012

Internet needs the light too..


Back then I used to be easier when it was just the village.

I get the whole desire to get off all forms of networks and just go back to “the simple life”. Yes, I get it. I recently sold my smart phones. I sold my television set. I want to sell my laptop and most other portable electronic devices. If possible I would like to use internet only when I am at work and nowhere else. I am severing all electronic umbilical cords.

But while I may understand the angst of off this entire tech overload I respond differently. I do not sign out, close my accounts and withdraw. No! Instead in jump right in, embrace it and allow it to engulf me. The only thing I strive to achieve is control. Control is everything. Power is nothing without control you see.

I believe that all those that throw in the towel, have struggles and lost the battle for control. ‎"Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that's what makes you strong.” - Sarah Dessen. I believe that true change comes when ordinary men take ordinary things and choose to do extra ordinary things with them. So instead of robbing the world of my light I choose to shine it and instead of expending myself in the name of what is cool, I expend myself in search of control and balance.

To hide from the world of internet, social networks and all that is trending at the moment, to speak in silence and to avoid the lingo of this generations is to be unseen and unheard and yet your message is desired. Yes it does get tiring, and mundane, and boring but hey when I Rome to jig to the Roman beat or at least speak in the language they understand.

Another thing about this craze; at the heart of it all I suspect is selfishness. Self preservation I can understand, but that exist to protect us from harmful situations and if that is what social networking and the Internet is to you then unplug, but if not then I wonder what you be going on about. But then again, it’s a free world so you can do as you please.

But do not make it look like it’s the fault of the network that you pine over new comments or write in such a way to attract them or find that you cannot do without it blah blah blah. Internet and social networking is morally neutral. Chances are that whatever you are feeling or whatever hole you are in is mostly of your doing. Internet is just one manifestation of it all.

Also don’t make it look like the rest that are happy where they are clueless, brainless mash with nothing better to do with their time. If that was the case then I am sure Wikipedia and even Google would not exist. We would be just a bunch of zombies clicking like buttons and writing on walls.

There is so much more than can be done with the resources our generation has, let’s pull our heads out of our asses and use them. The internet needs the light too.

Other random thoughts.

Why can’t we eat real food for breakfast?