Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Flags of our fathers: An introduction.


The flags or our fathers are a tedious thing. A great burden we have to carry. A heritage and an inheritance we never ask for but must bear most of the days of our lives.

I have always wanted to write these pieces, actually make it a series of pieces, talking about what our fathers here in Uganda have left us and how many of us are forced to contend with these long after we have left our parents’ home and grown into young men and women.

I wanted to write but I did not want to sound like a defeated youth blaming the acts of yesteryear for their misfortune especially in an atmosphere that seems to whisper, “if you have failed it is your fault.”

I did not want to cuddle up to the other masses of on line attention seekers who illicit sympathy and readership because of their dark brooding lives and tales of woe and misfortune…I did not want to be a cynic either regaling you with how the world is quirky and sort of does not work by poking fun at other, myself or you the reader.

I want this to be one man’s honest journey into his past and his present, investigating the things that make him who he is and how they shape his future.

It will be a tale of some joys but mostly sadness for I cannot write about the laughter I did not have or the smiles I could give but the tears cried and uncried that defined many aspects of my life.

I want it to be a roadmap for my future. A statement that from henceforth I shall not be the man that my father was but I shall surpass him or I shall die trying. I shall carry my name proudly but I shall not carry the shame or the heritage.

This is a chance for me to lie on the couch and let loose into the cosmos the burden of my heart and hurt and let the flags of my father unfurl in the breeze allowing a chance for new life and new hope, that this symbols that has been such a burden shall start to breath a new an air fresher than that of the savannah after a heavy African rain. That the wind shall carry away with it my fears and hurts and pains, but like the moisture heavy ocean winds bring with it a torrent of newness and life.

The flags of our fathers
Are a burdensome thing
For our desperate hope and
Identity to it we must cling
Dearly like the fragile sapling
borne to the crevice whilst
just a seed , it’s the sum of our
Of our existence.