Thursday, May 2, 2013

When death Visits...


I am mindlessly clicking through random websites trying to drown out my thoughts as they linger around death and tragedy.

Another person was killed on the Kisaasi-Bukoto road. That makes the Third accident and second death in as many months. The most recent was a white lady and her bajaj guy who was hit as the joined the road at a T junction.

Strangely enough I have arrived on the scene moments after these three different accidents happened. I was furious. I was sad. I was tired and sometimes waved it away with the traditional luganda phrase. “Kitalo”
The very first accident was a cyclist. He lay still and unconscious on the side of the road. His bicycle squashed that both tires not touched lay a few feet away. Around his were a few people who wanted to help but could not. Makes you wonder why first aid is not compulsory all the way to university.

The dimly lit taxi cabin illuminated the expressions of its occupants. I wonder how many of thought to do something. This was the day where I was tired. I waived it off. Our taxi lurched forward propelling my homeward but my heart was unsettled. This new beautiful road was just another death trap waiting to happen. When I finally got to my stage, I opted to skip my boda ride and walk that last few meters. This had been a terrible punctuation to what has been a long day.

I reported the incident to police and sat there listening as he tried to cut through all the chatter on his radio and get the right authorities. Funny how the roads are totally a different jurisdiction and he had to call a highway patrol man from God knows how far. After a few moments of chatter back and forth, I heard the confirmation that a car had been dispatched. I hoped it would reach in time. I trudged home, I felt a little better.

Today’s accident is still fresh in my mind. I wonder if it’s because there was a foreigner involved. You see one of my fears was dying with no one knowing what had happened. In this our pearl I am sure you know how that is possible. Here he or she was, far from home, pursuing God knows what and boom out of nowhere a speeding motorist ends that journey. She was So far from home. I guess death needs no visas.

The second of these events was a collision between a boda and a van. That impact was horrific because the damage done to the van looked like it had been clipped by a truck. Irony was that a friend and I were heading home on the latter’s motorbike. Coming upon this scene makes you think on how getting home alive is a blessing.

Thankfully my friend was a medic and he gathered a few people and they lifted the injured into the van and rushed them to hospital. His prognosis was that one seemed to have suffered and fractured hip and the rider, who took the brunt of the impact, would not make it.

We rode in silence for a while.

There is a bad taste in my mouth now. Death visited my neighbourhood this afternoon.