Wednesday, January 11, 2012

You Should Have Loved Me First


Here I am again. In that place where all I can think about is you. I get mad sometimes that you would have another instead of me. That I would listen to story after story of some other weak useless chap who broke your heart and how all men are dogs, cheats, liars and the spawn of Satan himself.

And all this while I sat by your side, listened to you, comforted you and watched out for you. I wanted to tell you how not all men are dogs, cheats or liars. I was not. Not all men are the same, for I was fighting to be different…for you.

I wanted you to love me, I wanted to love you back, hold you, comfort you and wipe away your tears but you never looked at me that way. How many broken hearts did I mend? How many nights did I spend up listening to you sob over the phone and how many times did I watch with despair as you walked down the same path with another guy.

Oh you should have loved me first. For then I would show you what true love and devotion were. I would show you what it meant to be pursued and wooed. I would show you how a true woman of value should be treated. Oh that you would have loved me first and we would have skipped all this heartache.

For if you had tasted of these pure waters you would have hungered no more for the stale putrid pools of wanton lust. If you had lain in my arms you would have realised how weak theirs were. For if you had laid you head against my chest you would have heard what true love, a heart-full of it sounded like.

If you had cried in my arms you would have known what true solace was. If you had stumbled you would have known what trust and confidence are for I would be there, you would have known also loyalty and dependability were possible oh if you had only loved me first.

But now all I can be is a shoulder to cry on, a Band-Aid to a broken heart, a hand to wipe away the tears, an ear to listen.

Here I sit again listening to a sad sad tale of love gone wrong and all I can say dear is you should have loved me first.